Pearls are a flawless gift of the sea, a treasure from beneath the waves, and a gem which should provide a lifetime of pleasure, vibrancy, and positivity. However, as the world’s only truly organic gems, pearls do require special attention in order to ensure they display their beauty and unique lustre for a lifetime.
- Our number one piece of advice to every pearl owner? Simply wear your stunning Smykke items of jewellery as often as possible. The natural oils in your skin will provide an unbeatable lustre to your pearls, and will help to maintain their mystique and glow.
- We all love wearing perfumes and experimenting with different scents. However, it’s always a good idea to keep your pearls away from direct contact with perfume, as it can cause damage to the pearl’s surface. The same goes for makeup, household cleaning products, chemical hand soaps, and hairspray, too. Look after your pearls, and they’ll look after you.
- After you’ve finished wearing your pearls, be sure to wipe them gently with a soft cloth before putting them away for the night. This will remove traces of perspiration and any cosmetic products.
- Want to refresh the shine on your pearls, and give them a chance to really dazzle? Use a few drops of olive oil, coconut oil, or monoi oil, wiping gently in a circular motion with a soft cloth.
- Pearls are precious and unique, and have a completely different textural quality to other gemstones. As such, it’s always best to keep them separate from other items of jewellery to avoid scratching.
- Whenever you aren’t wearing your Smykke jewellery, we’d advise keeping them safe in a jewellery box, velvet pouch, or soft-lined container of some sort. Remember, pearls need to ‘breathe’ to maintain their beauty, so avoid air-tight containers for your marine treasures!
- While it’s surely tempting to wear your pearls while swimming in the ocean, or relaxing at a pool or spa, we’d highly recommend avoiding getting your pearls wet at any time.
- Don’t forget to remove pearl rings when washing your hands. Not only will soapy water have a negative effect on your pearls, it may also loosen the glue holding the pearl in its setting, meaning the pearl may eventually fall off.
Every woman deserves to be able to enjoy fine and handmade jewellery for a lifetime. Our striking Tahitian pearls are destined for generation after generation of love and care, catching the eye of all who come across them, and providing you with confidence, timeless grace, and sublime, dynamic beauty. To truly get the most out of your Smykke pearls, here are some things that should be avoided as much as possible:
- Never use abrasive materials such as toothbrushes or scouring pads to clean your pearls. These gemstones are delicate, sensitive, and prone to scratching, and need only a soft cloth and a little oil. Commercial jewellery cleaning pads and ‘magic eraser’ products should also be avoided.
- Detergents, acids, vinegar, chlorine, bleach, and ammonia are all harmful to pearls, and not much better for your skin, either. Never clean your pearls with chemical cleaning products.
- Pearls do not require steam cleaning, and to do so will reduce their natural lustre and iridescent quality.
Pearls should never be kept in plastic bags. These treasures of the sea react badly with the chemicals in plastics, leading them to lose their shine.
- Pearls are also sensitive to extremes of heat. As such, they shouldn’t be kept near open fireplaces, on top of radiators or heaters, or next to electrical equipment that emits heat.